6.07.2007

I'm feeling educational.





A few pictures from today....and a pool picture from Saturday. And a trip down memory lane.


Jocelyn is finally being a "big girl". She takes one nap in her swing (that is such my lifesaver) and one nap in her crib. Every day before I lay her down I fix her sheet so it's tight again....but everytime I go in there it's all ruffled up from her tugging on it. Oh well, at least she's not sleeping with a huge blanket like my mom used to do with me. GOSH. haha Isn't it crazy how just over the 22 years I have been alive things are constantly "not good" for babies anymore. My mom was telling me the other day that when I was a baby, we slept on our bellies. With blankets. And bumpers. And for God Sakes....a stuffed animal. And now everyone is all SIDS this SIDS that. No blankets, firm mattress, fitted sheets, no animals, no nothing. I'm interested in seeing a study done on tummy sleep vs back sleep corrolating with SIDS. Just to see how big the number margin is in crib deaths related to both. Sounds kinda morbid huh? The reason I say Jocelyn is being a big girl is...she used to sleep in her Papasan in her crib. Before we found out she was lactose intollerant she used to choke on her formula. No spitting up, just violent, sent to the ER choking. Scared the crap out of me. So, I wanted her to sleep on an incline. Figured the best thing was the Papasan seat. Plus that way I could snuggle her in it, with blankets under the cushions so she couldn't pull them out and suffocate yet she still felt snuggled/secured like she was still in utero. Anyways, Jocelyn slept in her Papasan until her 6 month birthday. Then I figured since her feet hung off the edge. It was time to give it up. Happy Half Birthday Chick! LOL She is doing really good sleeping through the night, in her sleepsack, without the Papasan. I'm proud of her. :)



My little pod. As Jeff oh so lovingly calls her. Man, she was sooooo small. I was going through the millions of pictures I have and ran across this one. So precious.

Another study that I would like to do is a preemie study. Having to do with the NICU and the drawers in there that close themselves, which causes a slamming noise, which startles all the babies in their Isolettes. One of my friends had a daughter who stayed in the NICU for 8 days. She startled very easily. And to this day drawers startle her. She is almost 5. But it's only certain things. Like a drawer catching itself to the point of where it draws in by itself creating a semi slamming noise. Or else someone sneezing. But then the vacuum isn't an issue. Or a door slamming. Or loud music. Or the hair dryer. Jocelyn startles very easily. She was in the NICU for 8 days also. It was sad when we were in there b/c a drawer would catch itself and EVERY baby would do a full body startle like OMG what is going on!? I've been searching for studies on this but have had no luck. If anyone is bored and wants to try to find information on preemies being easily startled and send it to me...cool. If not, I may just do the study myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welll.... call me a bad mommy, but Porter has slept on his belly since he was about 4 months old, and he had blankets and stuffed animals and books in his bed HAHAH! He still does.. he also has a full sized pillow in his crib now.. Yikes!

I did read a study not too long ago about mattress wrapping... that SIDS was highly related to toxins in mattresses, and in sweden (or some country) they wrapped mattresses in plastic and it drastically dropped the SIDS rate. I'll have to find that link...

Anonymous said...

I guess I am a bad mommy, too. Reyna sleeps on her tummy...the only way she will sleep. She doesn't have any toys in her crib but I was just talking to Nicole about Reyna having a fit when she goes to bed. I have a little bedtime minnie mouse that plays lullabies. I might try it so she can hold her head up and look at it until she gets fussy enough to fall asleep. Okay, I am rambling on and on.....The pic's are cute. Glad to hear that nothing is wrong with Joclyn's head.